In the current scenario, the need for wildlife and nature conservation is increasing day by day and so are the people who are getting interested in this sector. Many of the worldwide organizations are indulge in this and the sector is also becoming a competitive market. Many new organizations have also emerged which are fully involved in nature conservation only. This post contains some of the top international conservation organizations whether to work with full time or for internship and volunteering. The list is not according to rank wise.
1. WORLD WILDLIFE FUND
WORKING AREAS: Food, Climate, Fresh Water, Wildlife, Forests, and Oceans.
FOUNDED IN: 1961
HEADQUARTER: Gland, Switzerland.
If you want to work in an organization where at the end of the day you feel like you are giving something back to earth, then WWF will be a perfect place for you. 85% of WWF’s spending is directed to worldwide conservation activities(link for reports).
- Biggest Conservation Organization
- Worldwide Reach
- The best place to develop skills for working in this sector
- Dedicated and passionate employees
- A lot of additional benefits
- Low salary.
- The hierarchical structure can be a problem sometimes
- Somewhat low upward movement
2. THE NATURE CONSERVANCY
WORKING AREAS: Lands and Rivers, Protecting Habitats, Conservation, Climate change, and Ocean health.
FOUNDED IN: 1951
HEADQUARTER: Arlington, VA (US)
This is the best organization if you want grassroot work experience in the environment sector. They have protected over 119 million acres of land and are operating in 100 marine conservation projects. Currently, they are working in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Best to work in the environment sector
- Staff with diverse expertise and experience
- On-boarding and training are very thorough
- Good work life balance
- Not very high salary
- Such big organizations can have complex organizational structure
- Location problems might come
3. WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY(WCS)
WORKING AREA: wildlife, biodiversity conservation, zoos, aquarium, advocacy
FOUNDED IN: 1895
HEADQUARTER: Bronx, NY (US)
WCS is more into conserving wild places in priority regions. Its goal for 2020 is to conserve places home to more than 50% of the biodiversity.
- Fun challenging experience
- Working with animals on site
- Great people to work with
- Mission-driven work
- Low salary than others
- Outdoor work (not good if you are introvert)
- Somewhat Slow career growth
WORKING AREAS: Protecting and restoring the world’s ocean.
FOUNDED IN: 2001
HEADQUARTER: Washington, D.C, US
Oceana is the largest advocacy organization working solely towards the ocean conservation. Ocean has won more than 200 victories and protected more than 3.5 million square miles of ocean.
- Top organization for Ocean and marine conservation.
- Best for marine wildlife enthusiasts.
- Lot of benefits and good work culture (Oceana Benefits)
- Creative freedom to self-start projects.
- Low salary issue.
- Working in remote locations.
- Slow growth rate if you are on entry-level position.
5. CONSERVATION INTERNATIONAL
WORKING AREA: Biodiversity Conservation, Corporate Sustainability, Climate change.
FOUNDED IN: 1978
HEADQUARTER: Arlington, VA (US)
Conservation International has nearly 1000 employees and has worked with more than 2000 partners in 30 countries. They have supported approx 1200 protected areas and more than 601 million hectares of land, marine and coastal areas.
- Worldwide Reach.
- Experienced scientists and employees.
- Better career growth.
- Thorough training
- Low salary
- Working in remote locations
- Complex organizational structure
Some other conservations organizations which interested people can follow are:-
- Royal Society for Protection of Birds
- Bombay Natural History Society
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- National Audubon Society
You can follow the organizations either by subscribing them on email or follow them on LinkedIn or on Glassdoor.